Thursday 20 April 2017

1st birthday celebration as an adult

Last Thursday, I celebrated my birthday. That sentence to me is a big deal to me. For me to actually celebrate my birthday is a big deal! Why? Because after my 20th birthday, I never ever wanted to celebrate my. Idthday again since that's when my life took a bad turn and my depression set in! For the last 9years, I refused to celebrate it and usually hibernate on that day! Why? The constant comparison of myself with other people of the same age and that I wasn't doing as well as others. The fact that I didn't deserve to be celebrated as I've hurt a few people including the people who birthed me.

But last Thursday was different. It is my last birthday in my 20s and although my early 20s where turbulent, overall it was my most defining decade where I became a parent, discovered myself,  completed my degree and embarked on further studies as well as stepping and progressing on my career ladder. It is the decade where I build up my life from scratch. From living in other people's floor to now renting our own private flat. Finally, my kids... I have 2 little humans I created (and the husband) who wanted to celebrate me! But I wanted to celebrate it on my own terms!

I always wanted to go for afternoon tea, we booked a beautiful afternoon tea at The Milestone Hotel in Kensington. I wanted one that was perfect for the kids and when reading about best afternoon tea for children's, The Milestone topped he list. So we headed down to Kensington all excited to eat all the yummy food. The staff were amazing! We were welcomed warmly into a very beautiful drawing room. The hot chocolate we ordered was the best. It was so milky and with the right amount of  chocolate. We didn't wait long for our food to come. The kids had a 2 tier little prince and little princess afternoon teas. Mine was a beautiful sight too and we couldn't wait to tuck in. The sandwiches were yummy with a variety of them. our favourite was the hotel's signature chicken sandwich. The pastries, oh, what can I say?  So yummy! There was so much choice and so many chocolates delights hat we couldn't finish all of it. Thankfully, they can pack it to take it home. We were just communicating with 'mmm' 'yum'.  The Milestone Hotel also offers the kids to decorate their own cupcake but as it was Easter, the kids got to decorate their own massive Faberge eggs! I know! The staff encouraged the children to use their imagination by not worrying about making a mess which the children loved so they couldn't concentrate on decorating their eggs rather then checking what mess they need to clean! Once we arrived back at the table, we finished our afternoon tea with some delicious scones! My first afternoon tea was a success and now can't wait to go back to The Milestone. A great experience for kids and adults alike. I can't fault it. And the Diana Memorial Park is just round the corner including Kensington Palace  so why not make it a day in London?

Next, thanks to my work gang who booked very cheap tickets via Picniq, we headed off to The London Tombs in London Bridge. As a family, we love scary things. The kids favourite special day isn't Christmas but Halloween so that says how excited we were to hang out with zombies,  skeletons, etc... To be honest, we didn't know what to expect so that built up our excitement too! Seeing all the characters too pumped us up! We had to wait a bit before entering but that's fine! We were offered free sweets while we were waiting which was a plus not knowing that we will actually need the overload of sugar very soon! Before all the scary stuff happened, we were introduced to the history of London Bridge including a little museum. And then, all the excitement happened. It was a very good 1h45 screaming and running. The first 30mins was not as scary and included history with gory artefacts. The second half is the scary but so if you feel uncomfortable in the first half, before you go to the 2nd half, you have the opportunity to leave the tour. My kids were the last ones standing and wanted to go al the way. Weird children I have. So we entered the second half and it was the best. I have to say, the way the staff communicated with us, signs and clips did make us a bit anxious which definetely increased our heart rate before we even stepped into the rooms.We had to go through The Tombs in single file and had to hold on to each other. I don't want to ruin it but they will be things jumping at you and chasing you but they won't touch you! Mahi waved at a zombie but otherwise didn't scream. Lucky on the other hand was screaming! I was just trying to not look back just in case something was following me. However, when we came out, we all wanted to go back and experience it again. ( This experience has slight changed due to Covid since this post was written). Mahi who looked fearless through the whole experience, point blank refused to go back! However, he wants to go back now and Mahi and Lucky have planned to go back in 7years time! Like I said, weird children I got! So yes, it is scary and might not be suitable for children who won't cope with severed heads/body parts, zombies, etc... Even grown up adults had to leave after the mild first half. Adults were running for their lives in the second half so only recommend if you and your children love all things bloody and morbid, like me and my children! It was a great experience and learned a few things about London Bridge too so would definetely recommend it if you ar brave!

My birthday ended with a great experience at JRC GLobal Buffet with food from all over the world and live cooking. The birthday girl went for free. Children were half price at £9.50 each and adult was £19. Lucky tried all the food that we wouldn't usually eat such as sushi and oyster. A good experience to expand your taste buds! Thankfully nobody brought a cake out!

Overall my birthday day was amazing and just how I liked it! So here's to my 29th and my last year year in my tremendous twenties!

No comments:

Post a Comment