Sunday 8 August 2021

Reading on a budget

 I'm a bookworm. Reading is my happy place where I can escape for a few hours in another world, another life. I read during my commute and before I go to sleep. However, I can't afford to buy books all the time. So how do I still read without having to spend a fortune on books?

Libraries - We don't appreciate libraries enough. Library for me was also one of my favourite places since I was a child. It's free to sign up and every town has a library. If your library doesn't have the book you want, you can always request it. What's not to love about libraries?

Charity shops - I love to find hidden gems in charity shops. Yes, it's time consuming but when you find a good copy of a book you've been looking for everywhere, the feeling is something else.

Community mini-library - These are popping up everywhere now. I'm in the process of setting up one too. These are mini libraries (built out of shed or just books in a plastic box) where people give away their books and you can just take them home. Some mini libraries request you to swap books i.e you have to give some books to take some books. It's also a great way to bring people in the community together and get to know each other.

Book swaps - There's an annual London Children's bookshop which happens. We usually take a bag load of books to swap for other ones, Sometimes you can take adult books too but it depends on the place where you are swapping. 

Markets - my favourite book market is on the Southbank under the bridge. It's one of my favourite place. i cannot come empty-handed if I go past it. Some great gems to be found at a reduced price.

Abebooks - this is a second-book selling website associated with Amazon. The price is so reasonable with free postage on most books. You can find some hard-to-find-books on this website. 


Do you know of any other cheaper ways to get books?

No comments:

Post a Comment