Saturday 25 May 2024

Chatham

 If you are looking for something not too far from London and under a strict budget (like me), Chatham offers quite a lot for children of primary school age mostly. Except 1 attraction, everything else were indoors so a good day out when the weather is not that great. During half-term, there's more activities that each of these places offered. So here what we've done:

 - Fort Amherst - This is an old Napoleonic fort which overlooks the harbour. It is quite big with lots of activities offered at an extra cost. It is not flat-surfaced either but accessible. The activity that was offered when we went there took us through the whole fort so it was nice to do as I'm sure I would have missed some nooks and corners of this place. Thee are also guided tours at specific times for those who don't want to do any activities.

- Chatham Historic Dockyard - This hosts a number of ships that you can visit. These are paid attractions but you can visit for free for upto a year. 

- Royal Engineers Museum - Since Mahi love building things, I thought this it'll be a good place to take him and he really enjoyed the activities that were offered on top of the entrance fee. I also learned a lot  about the role of Royal Engineers during the war, which I wasn't aware of. I also enjoyed the display about the different countries that helped the UK during the WW2. It is a part of history that no one talks about hence I really appreciated this museum in teaching us this side of the war. Mahish really enjoyed building a spitfire and also a nerf gun battle. There is also a little playground on  the grounds,

- To take a break from all the activities, we had ice cream at the harbour and then also did a little bit of shopping at the Pentagon Shopping centre before heading back home.


My teenager didn't enjoy much of it but my 11year old did enjoy some of it hence why I think it is better for kids in primary school. Another town explored and ticked off our list.



No comments:

Post a Comment