Sunday, 9 August 2026

Isle of Portland

 

Did you know that just 3hours from London, still within the UK, you end up on an isle which feels you are somewhere that looks like a Mediterranean?? I didn't know either until I saw what Portland Isle had to offer. I was reminded multiple times during my day trip around the island of Malta and Croatia and I am not saying that lightly! I took a train from London to Weymouth followed by a bus to he Isle. The bus ticket was £7 for a day pass and made good use of it. It is also easy to walkaround the island as the buses are not as frequent. The coastal paths are sunning!

Here's what I fitted on my day trip, bearing in mind that I did unique attractions:

- Tout Quarry Nature Reserve and Sculpture Park. This is an active quarry of the famous Portland stone which is used in building quite a few iconic monuments such as St Paul’s Cathedral. It is one of 2 quarries in the world to get his special stone. The other quarry is also in Portland so a very resourceful island. The speciality with this quarry is that it also doubles as a sculpture park where you can find lots of sculpture dotted around the park. It was very fun and a good innovative way to explore the park! It is totally free to visit!

 

- Pirate graveyard, Rufus Castle and Church Ope cove – If you are doing one thing on the island, do this especially if the weather is gorgeous!! Church Ope Cove is a little secluded beach with crystal clear water that reminded me so much of swimming in the beautiful waters of Malta! In order to get to the beach, you will come across the ruins of Rufus Castle, which you can’t visit but can view from the viewpoint. Then, you will need to go down the stairs. If you are interested, half down the stairs, on the left, there’s some stairs that will lead you to the pirate’s graveyard but there are no pirates buried there! You can see the ruins of the church which the graveyard belongs to. It is a very small graveyard but if you are curious about who is buried there, like I am, then it’s a nice little stop before you resume you walk down the stairs to the beach! I loved swimming in the water. I have never seen such clear waters in the UK like this! There’s a couple of walking trails you can do around the area! This beach was not crowded at all and it had toilets too! It will be a beach that I will keep coming back in the summer month! It was stunning!

- Portland Bill Lighthouse and Pulpit Rock – The main attraction of the isle if the Lighthouse which is set amidst unreal views of the sea. You can go on a guided tour up the lighthouse and it also a small museum by the entrance which explored the maritime history of the area. Beside the lighthouse is the Pulpit Rock which is a unique rock formation.

Other attractions are the Portland Castle, D-day museum and the Prison museum.

 It has been one of the most stunning places I have visited in the UK and still can’t believe such unreal places are in this country!  A little gem that nobody knows about and it reminded me why I love expanding my travels to places in corners and nooks of any countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment