Monday 15 May 2017

My political Lucky

My political Lucky

I don't know when it started but Laksha is very interested in politics. I think it started at the same time I started my campaigning work for childcare and young parents and Lucky asking me where we were going and why.

I always involved Lucky in my campaigning work whenever I can so she understands what's going around. I've taken then to the House of Parliament to talk about childcare costs, I took them to political debates from the last general election and various other events through the volunteer groups I'm involved with. She even asked a question to all candidates at the last general election about extending the weekend to 3 days as she doesn't spend enough time with me due to work :( . I take her when I'm voting too. During the Brexit election is when she got very vocal about how brexit could be a very bad thing (I know, even a 7 year old can see it!). She was very upset about the results and knowing how her chances of studying abroad could be affected and also not knowing what would happen to me (a French citizen)! She can't wait till she's 18 "to vote away" and use her voice!

She's quite active locally too whether it's sending a letter to the local council about improving parks and campaigning againdt littering!

Lucky loves politics and at this age has a great understanding of what's going on around her and how things work. I think it is very important to instill a sense of right and responsibility at a young age so when they grow up they'll understand what is going on. I wish my parents taught me this when I was young. I never understood politics and didn't know how important using my voice was so I can have a better future! So talk about your child about elections and local government. Their future is in their hands and if we don't make them understand that at an early age, they won't understand unless it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment