Friday 13 November 2020

Making the most of Halloween in 2020

 I know it's been 2 weeks since Halloween ended but I thought that everything that I tried to make happen needs to be documented and that I tried to keep things as normal as possible in a pandemic.


Usually, on Halloween, we go around our neighbourhood and go trick-treating with friends which is the highlight of Halloween! The whole month of October, we go to various Halloween related events and get in the mood. We also do a lot of arts and crafts and decorate our home with it.


This year, we did the crafts and decoration but couldn't do much else. We did go Flip-Out for some scary jumping, The London Tombs again to be chased by psychos and on a Ghost bus Tour which was very informative and funny! But we couldn't trick-or-treat so I had to improvise. Thankfully, we now moved to a house with a lot fo space which means more hiding places. This gave me a wicked idea. What about a spooky sweet hunt around the house!!! I do this every Easter so I had clues to recycle and created more clues. As the days went by, my idea of a hunt became more and more bigger. 

Why not start the hunt with the kids beating a piñata which had some clues? So we made home-made pinatas, thanks to Pinterest for ideas and instructions, which were much more easier to make than I thought.

I'm also on this wonderful group on facebook called 'Housebound with Kids' where parents share a lot of thing including arts and crafts ideas. So with the help of this group, I made mystery box which basically was Amazon boxes with a square cut in the middle. In the mystery box, the clues where hidden in terrible things which the kids didn't know. I filled a bowl with orbeez, spaghetti loops and olives. The kids face was a delight!

We had to take our dinner in between as the hunt took longer than expected. We had dinner  by candlelight where we switched off all the lights. It was quite an experience! The final clues were in  a cream pie which the kids had to get to with using only their mouth! It was very messy but the shrieks of laughter from all of us was great!

The kids dressed up as Snappy from Goosebumps and a dead Indian bride. We also did introduction videos for each one of them! It was really spooky and innovative!

2.5hours later we were exhausted ad ready for bed but i was glad that the pandemic didn't affect our favourite time of the year. The kids even thanked me for delivering a fun Halloween night and how they can't wait for next year's halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment