Friday 13 November 2020

Traditions

 As Deepavali is upon us, I thought it'll be a great time to talk about our family traditions. This inspiration came from a fantastic book I read called 'The Happiness Project' by Gretchen Rubin which inspired me a lot to do a a number of things especially to collect memories. You'll see a lot of reference to this amazing book in my blog from now on.

What urged me to create blog is because I love writing but this is also my way of venting, sharing and basically being 'book' for my kids to look back on their memories, should I not be here for them to remember things (I know a bit morbid but in my line of work, there's not a day that goes by, where the fragility of life is reminded everyday).

Anyways, so while I was reading 'The Happiness Project' , I loved the passages about traditions personalised to our families. It made me think... what traditions do we have? To my shock, I couldn't remember much! I have failed as a parent was my first thought! What kind of loving, happy environment am i providing that all i can remember as family tradition is the deep cleaning every 1st of the month and watching a Tamil movie during the weekend. 

But then I remembered that I have 2 guinea pigs, which I'm trialling my parenting skills on, who I can ask those questions. To my utter surprise and pride, my kids rolled out a list of our uniques family traditions. How we celebrate all important religious dates as one, regardless of what religions. Our New Year Eve tradition of wearing new pyjamas, making home-made crafts for everything and decorating our home with these and much more (I can't reveal our family secrets).

This exercise was enough to make me confident as a parent and that I'm providing them with a warm environment where we are all creating happy memories and traditions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment