Wednesday 8 March 2017

#BeBoldForChange

This year's theme is #BeBoldForChange and it was all about knowing your rights at work and standing up for them. To know how I stood up to my rights about flexible working, check my blog I've written for an organisation that is most dear to me and I volunteer for, Young Women's Trust: http://www.youngwomenstrust.org/what_we_do/media_centre/blogs/558_how_asking_for_flexible_working_hours_changed_my_life?utm_content=bufferdb632&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

But I wanted to discuss what I really thought when I saw the theme. Be bold for change to me means o stand up for what you believe in. The first time I stood up to for something I believed in was when I wanted to go to uni after a received my offer a day after I found out I was pregnant. While everyone around me was saying I could never go to uni with a baby in my hands, my baby bump gave me the confidence that I can study with her in my arms and I did without failing any exams and got a paid internship in research straight after that.

The second time I stood for something was as a class rep when nobody wanted to take action against a particular lecturer who wasn't really lecturing. Although it was too late for my year, I stilll wanted change to happen for the next year. So I raised hebissie and 2 years later, the lecturer has reduced his lecturing time! That's #BeBoldForChange.
 
The third time I stood for something as believe in led me to all the campaigning work I'm doing. How I got into it was Thriugh Young Women's Trust. It is a great organisation helping young women up to age 30 who are not in education or employment. They offer free coaching and CV advice and you can be part of a wonderful panel to meet other amazing women who are making changes little by little. More info can be found here: http://www.youngwomenstrust.org/. I thought of the time of when I was unemployed, not in education for a while and even when in 0-hour contract or with little or no pay jobs and struggled with my mental and financial health and everything I was facing as a young mother - from childcare costs, living costs and education while caring for my babies. I didn't  want my kids to go through what o went through and so so thought to try a make a change before they grow up. They was so much that needed to be changed before they became teenagers so I had to get on with the huge tasks that was ahead of me. Starting with young women's trust, I talked about childcare costs and now glad it has been extended to 30-hours free childcare for 3-4year olds as well as tax free childcare being announced today. I was a small dot in this but every dot makes a change. And that's how I started to work locally and raise awareness of lthingsnsuch as talking about mental health in the Tamil community which is a taboo subject and meeting my local MP to talk about how to bring more young women into employment. And that's how little by little I'm making changes. All for my children. It might not be a big change by the time they grow up but it will be a change nevertheless. if other women thought "Why bother?", we would never had any the right to vote, made changes to American history by shutting down racism, knew about the horrors of the Holocaust and Harry Potter would have never existed! So, I encourage other women to #BeBoldForChange. It isn't easy, trust me,  but instead of complaining, you could put all that energy into makcing a change  happen about an issue that affects you. You might not see the benefit yourself but future generations might. whag better way to start making these changes today on International Wome Day. Don't be afraid, #BeBoldForChange!

No comments:

Post a Comment